[Gluster-users] NFS vs native fuse

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Thu Apr 30 03:28:04 UTC 2015

Specific to Linux, the NFS client uses standard filesystem caching
which has a few pros and cons of it's own.

Native GlusterFS uses up application space RAM and is a hard-set
number that you must define.  In our studio, our standard rollout is a
32GB RAM workstation, so native GlusterFS clients are told to use
quite a bit of RAM for cache.  When we connect up smaller VMs, often
they have less RAM overall than we assign just for cache, and as such
use NFS instead.

-Dan

Dan Mons - R&D Sysadmin
Cutting Edge