[Gluster-users] very bad performance on small files

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 21:50:37 UTC 2011

On 14 Jan 2011, at 18:58, Jacob Shucart wrote:

> This kind of thing is fine on local disks, but when you're talking about a
> distributed filesystem the network latency starts to add up since 1
> request to the web server results in a bunch of file requests.

I think the main objection is that it takes a huge amount of network latency to explain a > 1,500% overhead with only 2 machines.

On 14 Jan 2011, at 15:20, Joe Landman wrote:

> MB size or larger

So does gluster become faster abruptly when file sizes cross some threshold? Or are average speeds are proportional to file size? Would be good to see a wider spread of values on benchmarks of throughput vs file size for the same overall volume (like Max's data but with more intermediate values)

Marcus