[Gluster-users] very bad performance on small files

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Jan 14 18:01:07 UTC 2011

On 01/14/2011 12:58 PM, Jacob Shucart wrote:
> For web hosting it is best to put user generated content(images, etc) on
> Gluster but to leave application files like PHP files on the local disk.
> This is because a single application file request could result in 20 other
> file requests since applications like PHP use includes/inherits, etc.
> This kind of thing is fine on local disks, but when you're talking about a
> distributed filesystem the network latency starts to add up since 1
> request to the web server results in a bunch of file requests.

I'd probably go a little further than this ... place the originals on
gluster, and on apache/other startup, copy the files to a local
(RAM)disk, and work from there.  You can even set up scripted push of
originals with some simple scripting so that on (RAM)disk versions are
kept in sync within some interval.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO