[Gluster-users] cluster.min-free-disk separate for each, brick

Deyan Chepishev - SuperHosting.BG dchepishev at superhosting.bg
Wed Aug 17 23:50:11 UTC 2011

Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> Hi Deyan,
>
> This may not be a useful suggestion, but why not just partition your storage
> so that your bricks remain uniform?

==> Well this is a good suggestion unless you already have non uniform storage
with huge difference in brick sizes. The thing is that I was using one single fs
(XFS) which is over LVM and I was growing it each time I add new hdds. However I
realized that this could bring me a lot of troubles and decided to switch to
glusterfs, which brings the smaller bricks in the game. So basically I dont have
enough space to transfer the huge brick to a smaller bricks and that is why I
got to this situation.

> When you get more disk capacity because
> you've got 3TB drives instead of 2TB in RAID5, so that you have 15TB rather
> than 10TB per system, why not split the storage into 10TB and 5TB
> partitions, use the 10TB for a uniform-sized brick to add to an existing
> Gluster storage area, and then take your 5TB partitions and set up another
> Gluster share using that as your uniform brick size for it?

===> I am trying to build something like cloud storage using Gluster which
basically does not suit to your suggestion. If I wanted to have partitioned
storage I would not have chosen glusterfs. What I was imaging was, just add new
bricks no matter what size it will handle them automatically, which it does not.
If I knew this before I probably would not choose gluster.

Thank you
Regards,
Deyan