[Gluster-users] replica count documentation

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Thu Apr 14 21:13:35 UTC 2011

> > Assuming I have my replica count set to 2 with my 2 brick setup, it sure
> > isn't strict. I've waited 15 mins after the write to one brick has
> > finished before it was actually synced up on the second.
>
> There is no consistency level. Response will be returned to the user
> after the slowest writes is done. Writes occur sync. to all the
> servers in replica set.

Something doesn't match up here. If it can take 15 minutes for a write to
replicate to the second brick, according to the first comment, then it
should take that whole 15 minutes for the control to be returned to the
user, per the second comment.

On similar systems, there are options to have control return to the user
either after the first of two mirrored storage locations is written to, or
to have it wait until after the second is written to. Does Gluster have such
an option? If so, what does it default to?

Sorry if I've missed the documents on that. The documents I've found so far
have an admirable simplicity, but also leave out a lot of details it would
be good to know.

Whit