[Gluster-users] GlusterFS 3.1 on Amazon EC2 Questions

Craig Carl craig at gluster.com
Fri Oct 22 14:04:23 UTC 2010

Joshua -
Thanks for the great write-up! To answer Gart's questions -

1. Ideally you shouldn't have any data on the devices you use for new Gluster volumes, we don't test that extensively. It will generally work, the self heal process will replicate & distribute the files as necessary, on first access. You can kick the self heal process off manually by running ' find . | xargs stat ' at the top of the Gluster mount point.

2. You can read from the back end, all writes should go through the Gluster mount point.

3. If I understand the question, he is asking if a clone or snapshot of each AMI in the cluster is an effective way to backup Gluster? If so then yes, you would want to try and snap each image as close to the same time as possible.

Please let me know if you, or any of your readers have any other questions.

Thanks,

Craig

-->
Craig Carl
Senior Systems Engineer; Gluster, Inc.

Cell - ( 408) 829-9953 (California, USA)
Office - ( 408) 770-1884
Gtalk - craig.carl at gmail.com
Twitter - @gluster
Installing Gluster Storage Platform, the movie!
http://rackerhacker.com/2010/08/11/one-month-with-glusterfs-in-production/