[Gluster-users] Gluster web-farm production environment

it-news (Josef Lahmer) it-news at gugler.at
Thu Jul 15 11:01:21 UTC 2010

hi kyle,

i would recommend useing glusterfs 3.0.5.
read the "Important Enhancements and Bugs Fixed in GlusterFS 3.0.5" of
the release notes...
(http://ftp.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/3.0/3.0.5/GlusterFS_3.0.5_
Release_Notes.pdf)

i've used glusterfs version 3.0.4 and had similar problems with it.
(problems with locks, timeouts, small files ....)
which version do you use?

i think it's good when glusterfs uses much memory => caching :-)

when serving with apache i recommend following apache core config: (it's
also recommended serveing nfs published files)
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#enablemmap

EnableMMAP off
EnableSendfile off

my system config:
* glusterfs 3.0.5 (rpm setup) on centos 5.5 kernel:
2.6.18-194.8.1.el5xen
* all systems in "virtual environment" (apache & gluster server)
* i don't use a "dedicaded" nic for gluster environment -> no bottle
necks ...
* 2 raid1 gluster servers
* 5 clients ...

my speed comparison: (DELL PE R701, 10k SAS disks) citrix xenserver
virtualhost with physical disks: up to 160 mb/sek (one big file)
virtualhost with gluster disks: up to 80 mb/sek (one big file dd
if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/store ...)
for small files i'm getting much lower values...

I'm still expanding and useing glusterfs more and more ...
please update me about your experience or special settings!

regards,
josy
gugler* News der Woche: Erfolgreiches Öko-Audit! Das g* Umweltmanagementsystem erfüllt die höchsten europäischen EMAS-Standards. Lesen Sie mehr darüber im neuen gugler* Nachhaltigkeitsbericht: http://www.gugler.at/unternehmen/publikationen/g-nachhaltigkeitsbericht.html