[Gluster-users] Issue with Samba over Gluster

Irshad Ahmed irshad2005 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 05:11:43 UTC 2010

Hey guys,

I am facing an issue with samba.
When i expose a gluster volume using samba so my windows users can connect
to it.
My windows users normally use Microsoft Office and some use OpenOffice as
they store all Excel/PPT/Word file in samba share.
Users who use OpenOffice are able to work properly without any issues.
But users who use Microsoft Office are not able to even open the files
exposed by samba.
When they try to open a file they get downloading file and then it timeouts
and gives an error cannot read from source.

This is my Gluster Server Config

# Filestore Volume to be mounted
volume gluster-filestore-data
  type storage/posix
  option directory /data/mpath2/filestore-data
end-volume

volume gluster-filestore-data-lock
  type features/locks
  subvolumes gluster-filestore-data
end-volume

volume gluster-filestore-data-brick
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 16
  subvolumes gluster-filestore-data-lock
end-volume

volume gluster-filestore-data-server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.listen-port 7001
  option auth.addr.gluster-filestore-data-brick.allow 10.15.*
  subvolumes gluster-filestore-data-brick
end-volume

Gluster Client Config

volume gluster-filestore-data-1
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host 10.15.6.10
  option remote-port 7001
  option remote-subvolume gluster-filestore-data-brick
end-volume

volume gluster-filestore-data-2
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host 10.15.6.11
  option remote-port 7001
  option remote-subvolume gluster-filestore-data-brick
end-volume

volume replicate
  type cluster/replicate
  subvolumes gluster-filestore-data-1 gluster-filestore-data-2
end-volume

volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  option cache-size 1MB
  subvolumes replicate
end-volume

volume cache
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 512MB
  subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

I tested samba without gluster and it works fine so this is not a samba
issue.
I did some more testing to find out what happening with samba over gluster.
I check the logs of samba and when i access files using MS Office i get
oplock errors.
I tried disabling oplock and MS Office application was able to open the file
but in read-only mode but OpenOffice stopepd working now.
If i enable oplocks everything started working other than MS Office.
I dont see any kind of crash logs or any other logging in gluster logs.

Any help please ????

--
Irshad Ahmed