[Gluster-users] Upgrading gluster installation -- best practices guide?

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Fri Jan 15 21:09:56 UTC 2010

Hi paul,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Paul <pkoelle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We run glusterFS in our testing lab (since 2.0rc1). We are currently using
> client-side AFR (mirror) with two server and two clients over GigE.
>
> Testing is going well except one important point: How do you upgrade with
> minimal/zero downtime? Here I have several questions:
>
> 1. Is the wire-protocol stable during major releases? Can I mix and match
> all 2.0.x client/servers? If not how do find out which one are compatible?

we would suggest you to use both client and server from same version of
glusterfs. Are there any reason for not trying out 3.0?

> 2. Can I export one directory on the servers through multiple instances of
> glusterfsd (running on different ports)? This would allow to run old and new
> version in parallel for a short time and do a test from the client.

No.

> 3. How do I restart clients without shutting down all services accessing
> the mountpoint? Will glusterfs re-read config via signals (HUP)? Or is it OK
> to kill/restart in one go?

All the services accessing mount point have to be stopped, before restarting
glusterfs.

> How do YOU handle upgrades, especially wrt downtime and rolling back to a
> known good configuration?

we follow follow order:
1. stop all the services accesing mount point.
2. unmount glusterfs clients.
3. kill all the servers.
4. install new version of glusterfs.
5. start glusterfs servers.