[Gluster-users] Performance and redundancy help

Smart Weblications GmbH - Florian Wiessner f.wiessner at smart-weblications.de
Tue Feb 23 20:08:37 UTC 2010

Hello Chad,

Am 23.02.2010 15:28, schrieb Chad:
> Please forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure I understand about the
> client vs server side replication.
>
> Could someone throw out a quick paragraph describing the 2 and/or a
> pro/con list?
> If I do client side replication, how to I access the files on the servers?
> Am I relying on the clients to sync the data between the servers?

You mount the glusterfs volume on the server the same way as you would on the
client side. So the servers are also clients. The sync is done by the
client-mount (could be on the servers also...)

I am not able to give you a pro/con list, but to my experience it is better to
have client-side replication...

> There are times when no clients are up and the servers are "doing
> things" to the file system.

as said, just mount it as you would do on the clients, here a simple config:

put server-vol on every server (change ip addr!), use client-vol to mount on
client and server...

server-vol:

volume posix-export
  type storage/posix
  option directory /export
end-volume

volume locks-export
  type features/locks
  subvolumes posix-export
end-volume

volume export
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 8
  subvolumes locks-export
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp
  option auth.login.export.allow export
  option auth.login.export.password ##############
  option transport.socket.bind-address 10.0.0.x
  subvolumes export
end-volume

client-vol:

volume remote1
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host node1
  option remote-subvolume export
  option username export
  option password ##############
end-volume

volume remote2
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host node2
  option remote-subvolume export
  option username export
  option password ##############
end-volume

volume mirror0
  type cluster/afr
  subvolumes remote1 remote2
end-volume

volume wb
  type performance/write-behind
  option cache-size 1MB
  subvolumes mirror0
end-volume

volume ioc
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 32MB
  subvolumes wb
end-volume

volume iothreads
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 16
  subvolumes ioc
end-volume

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Florian Wiessner

Smart Weblications GmbH
Martinsberger Str. 1
D-95119 Naila

fon.: +49 9282 9638 200
fax.: +49 9282 9638 205
24/7: +49 900 144 000 00 - 0,99 EUR/Min*
http://www.smart-weblications.de

--
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Naila
Geschäftsführer: Florian Wiessner