[Gluster-users] Issue with files on glusterfs becoming unreadable.

Vikas Gorur vikas at gluster.com
Tue Jun 16 09:53:59 UTC 2009

----- "Elbert Lai" <elbert.lai at eng.admob.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that this must be inherent in the concept of a split
> namenode, namely that the potential for splitbrain exists. Is this no
>
> longer the case with gluster v2? Or if one host becomes unreachable
> for long enough, then this type of scenario is unavoidable?

A split-brain situation is inherent to any sort of distributed system.
If you have two servers A & B, and for a time A is up, B is down, and later
B comes up but A goes down, then the servers will obviously have different data
and this will be detected as a split-brain.

> It looks like to upgrade, there is a post-install script that must be
> run on the exported volumes to clean up extended attributes. I haven't
> spent much time look at any upgrade docs yet (which I fully intend to
> do), but are there any big gotchas? The gluster servers house our
> production data storage, about 1.7TB on the average.

You just need to stop GlusterFS 1.3, run the script backend-xattr-sanitize.sh
(found in the extras/ directory of the source tarball) on all your backend directories,
and start GlusterFS 2.0.

Vikas
--
Engineer - Z Research