[Gluster-users] What is the best configuration for a compiling farm?

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Thu Dec 24 04:18:56 UTC 2009

Hi Francois,

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Francois Berenger <berenger at riken.jp>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I plan to do a small compiling farm.
> What would be the best architecture and mode to use?
>
> Initially, I was planning to have one server (which is also
> a client) and three other machines which are only clients.
>
> I am asking myself if having all machines acting both as
> client and server wouldn't be better.
>
> What I want to avoid is that when a file is read from the server
> the bandwidth is shared between clients to access this file.
> I'd like to have clients possessing a file help the server to distribute
> it to other nodes rather than having the server only serving files.
> I don't know if this is the default behavior of GlusterFS.

you can obtain this behavior by using replicate. 3 servers can be run on all
the nodes and clients running on each of these 3 nodes can have a replicate
of 3 children - 3 protocol/client speaking to each of the server - and each
of the client specifying the "read-subvolume" as local server in replicate.

But since replicate replicates all the data, think of whether you can afford
to maintain 3 replicas of data.

> The usage pattern would be like this I guess: all clients read almost
> all files from the source tree, each client produce and write a few files.
>
> Thank you,
> Francois.

regards,
--