[Gluster-devel] Should it be possible to disable own-thread for encrypted RPC?

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 08:15:00 UTC 2016

Hi Jeff,

I've been testing release-3.7 in the lead up to tagging 3.7.11, and
found that the fix I did to allow daemons to start when management
encryption is enabled, doesn't work always. The daemons fail to start
because they can't connect to glusterd to fetch the volfiles, and the
connection failure is partly due to own-thread not being enabled.

I'd like to know why own-thread is kept optional, and is not the
default for any encrypted connection?
Encrypted RPC in GlusterFS can only works with a poller on its
own-thread, and cannot work with epoll. When this is the case, why is
it even possible to disable own-thread.

In GlusterFS currently, own-thread gets enabled for most encrypted
connections by default. But in certain cases, it doesn't get enabled
when it should be and leads to connection failures. This sort of
failure is most visible when a glusterfs/glusterfsd process attempts
to fetch volfiles from glusterd.

I'm going to be sending a change that removes the option of disabling
own-thread, and make all encrypted connections use it. Do you see any
reasons not to do this?

~kaushal