[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS cache architecture

Raghavendra Gowdappa rgowdapp at redhat.com
Tue Sep 1 03:50:04 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

Actually, caching is on the client side (this caching aims to beat network and disk latency to add up into our fop - file operation - latency). There is no server side caching in glusterfs as of now (except for what ever caching underlying OS/drivers provide in backend).

> 2) are there any tunables that affect client side caching?

Yes. Basic tunables one need to be aware of are the ones affecting cache-sizes. There are some tunables which define glusterfs behaviour for better/lesser consistency (with a possible trade-off of performance). These consistency related tunables are mostly (but not limited to) in write-behind (like strict-ordering, flush-behind etc). There are various timeouts in each xlator that can be configured to tune cache-coherency. "gluster volume set help" should give you a starting point.

> 3) how client-side caching (we are talking about read cache only, write
> cache
> is not interesting to us) is performed (if it is at all)?

client side read-caching is done across multiple xlators:

1. read-ahead: to boost performance during sequential reads. We read "ahead" of the application, so that data can be in our read-cache by the time application requests it.

2. io-cache: to boost performance if application "re-reads" same region of file. We cache after application has requested some data, so that subsequent accesses are served from io-cache.

3. quick-read (in conjunction with open-behind): to boost reads on small files. Quick read caches the entire file during lookup. Any further opens are "faked" by open-behind, assuming that the application is doing open solely to read the file (which is anyways cached already). If the application does a different fop, then an fd is opened and fop is performed after successful open. Quick read aims to save time spent in open, multiple reads and a release over network.

4. md-cache (or stat-prefetch): Caches metadata (like iatt - gluster equivalent of stat, user xattrs etc).

5. readdir-ahead: similar to read-ahead, but for directory entries during readdir. This helps to boost performance of readdir.

> 4) how and in what cases client cache is discarded (and how that relates
> upcall framework)?

As of now read-cache is discarded based on the availability of free space in cache and timeouts (age of data in cache). Currently upcall is not used to address cache-coherency issues, but can be used in future.