[Gluster-devel] Sharding - what next?

Krutika Dhananjay kdhananj at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 10:34:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

When we designed and wrote sharding feature in GlusterFS, our focus had been
single-writer-to-large-files use cases, chief among these being the virtual machine image store use-case.
Sharding, for the uninitiated, is a feature that was introduced in glusterfs-3.7.0 release with 'experimental' status.
Here is some documentation that explains what it does at a high level:
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/sharding-xlator
https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/release-3.7.0/Features/shard/

We have now reached that stage where the feature is considered stable for the VM store use case
after several rounds of testing (thanks to Lindsay Mathieson, Paul Cuzner and Satheesaran Sundaramoorthi),
bug fixing and reviews (thanks to Pranith Karampuri). Also in this regard, patches have been sent to make
sharding work with geo-replication, thanks to Kotresh's efforts (testing still in progress).

We would love to hear from you on what you think of the feature and where it could be improved.
Specifically, the following are the questions we are seeking feedback on:
a) your experience testing sharding with VM store use-case - any bugs you ran into, any performance issues, etc
b) what are the other large-file use-cases (apart from the VM store workload) you know of or use,
where you think having sharding capability will be useful.

Based on your feedback we will start work on making sharding work in other workloads and/or with other existing GlusterFS features.

Thanks,
Krutika