[Gluster-users] Default quorum for 2 way replication

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 11:56:11 UTC 2016

hi,
      So far default quorum for 2-way replication is 'none' (i.e.
files/directories may go into split-brain) and for 3-way replication and
arbiter based replication it is 'auto' (files/directories won't go into
split-brain). There are requests to make default as 'auto' for 2-way
replication as well. The line of reasoning is that people value data
integrity (files not going into split-brain) more than HA (operation of
mount even when bricks go down). And admins should explicitly change it
to 'none' when they are fine with split-brains in 2-way replication. We
were wondering if you have any inputs about what is a sane default for
2-way replication.

I like the default to be 'none'. Reason: If we have 'auto' as quorum for
2-way replication and first brick dies, there is no HA. If users are
fine with it, it is better to use plain distribute volume rather than
replication with quorum as 'auto'. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Please guide us in the right direction.

Pranith