[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Non Shared Persistent Gluster Storage with Kubernetes

B.K.Raghuram bkrram at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 05:45:25 UTC 2016

I have not gone through this implementation nor the new iscsi
implementation being worked on for 3.9 but I thought I'd share the design
behind a distributed iscsi implementation that we'd worked on some time
back based on the istgt code with a libgfapi hook.

The implementation used the idea of using one file to represent one block
(of a chosen size) thus allowing us to use gluster as the backend to store
these files while presenting a single block device of possibly infinite
size. We used a fixed file naming convention based on the block number
which allows the system to determine which file(s) needs to be operated on
for the requested byte offset. This gave us the advantage of automatically
accessing all of gluster's file based functionality underneath to provide a
fully distributed iscsi implementation.

Would this be similar to the new iscsi implementation thats being worked on
for 3.9?