[Gluster-users] Gluster 3.7 for Ubuntu-12.04

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 13:39:11 UTC 2015

On 08/03/2015 10:07 PM, Prasun Gera wrote:
> Does the 3.7 client work for precise ? >
There is no 3.7 "client" for precise. The build is 'all or nothing'.

3.6 for precise ought to work with 3.7 servers. Try it and see.

It would be great if someone in the community wanted to "step up" and
figure out how to build a 'client only' release of 3.7 for precise or
any other distributions.

FWIW, the Gluster Community provides the following packages:

                            3.5 3.6 3.7
Fedora 21                    ¹   ×   ×
Fedora 22                    ×   ¹   ×
Fedora 23                    ×   ×   ¹
Fedora 24                    ²   ²   ¹
RHEL/CentOS 5                ×   ×
RHEL/CentOS 6                ×   ×   ×
RHEL/CentOS 7                ×   ×   ×
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (precise)   ×   ×
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (trusty)    ×   ×   ×
Ubuntu 14.10 (utopic)        ×   ×   ³
Ubuntu 15.04 (vivid)             ×   ×
Debian 7 (wheezy)            ×   ×
Debian 8 (jessie)            ×   ×   ×
Debian 9 (squeeze)           ×   ×   ×
SLES 11                      ×   ×
SLES 12                          ×   ×
OpenSuSE 13                  ×   ×   ×
RHELSA 7                             ×
(There are also NetBSD and maybe FreeBSD pkgs available.)

That's 44 sets of packages, not counting a few one-offs like Raspbian,
etc., and old, end-of-life 3.4 and 3.3 pkgs that are still available on
download.gluster.org.

As can be seen, a couple of the old distributions don't have pkgs of the
latest GlusterFS, usually due to dependencies that are too old or
missing — this is not unique to precise. Also some of the newer
distributions don't have pkgs of the oldest GlusterFS.

[1] In Fedora or Fedora Updates.
[2] Not now, but probably for the next releases.
[3] Has 3.7.2. Launchpad has stopped accepting updates for Utopic.

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle at redhat.com > <mailto:kkeithle at redhat.com>> wrote: > > > > > From: "John S"
<bunix1 at gmail.com <mailto:bunix1 at gmail.com>> > > > > Hi All, > > > > Is
there any gluster 3.7 version available for ubuntu-12.04. Currently we >
> have all production/test servers running on ubuntu-12.04 > > > > Saw
glusterfs-3.7 for Ubuntu-14.04, 14.10 and 15 versions. please help. > >
> > 3.7.x does not build on 12.04 (Precise). Some of the dependencies >
apparently either don't exist or are too old. > > As you noted, there
are 3.7.x packages for 14.04 LTS (Trusty). If > you absolutely need 3.7
then you'll need to update your servers. > > -- > > Kaleb > > >