[Gluster-users] Log file timestamp

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Wed Nov 26 13:40:39 UTC 2014

<top posting>

Pretty much every commercial storage appliance is set at the factory to
UTC. That's certainly true for EMC and NetApp storage devices.
(disclaimer: I did work at EMC for seven years.)

IMO, even storage appliances and SDS built with FOSS software should use
UTC. Honestly, why would anyone use anything else? It's an appliance,
not a general purpose computing device.

FWIW I set pretty much everything I own — at home and at work — to UTC
and use NTP. I set the local TZ in my shell and desktop clock of course.

I lobbied for the use of UTC in gluster logging a couple years ago, the
community agreed, and the change was made.

As for making it configurable, I have no objection to that. IIRC I had
no objection the last time the topic came up. File a BZ and submit a
patch. I have no reason to believe it would not be accepted.

Oh, and we should probably agree finally on the One True Timestamp
Format and change the source to use it!

</top posting>

--

Kaleb