[Gluster-users] Gluster limits and best practices

Drew Kutcharian drew at venarc.com
Thu Jan 12 05:15:35 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

We are evaluating Gluster as the filesystem for a large scale web application where users upload many images. I wanted to see what are the limitations of Gluster as far as number of files/directories and more importantly what are some best practices?

We are thinking of using distributed + replicated mode with 3 copies of each file. Is that the best approach?

In addition, how should we store the files, can we have one huge flat namespace (i.e. UUIDs for names) or should we have a hierarchical directory structure just like a regular filesystem to distribute the files into many sub-directories?

Thanks,

Drew