[Gluster-users] Any Update: Req help for configuring glusterfs 3.1.2

Deadpan110 deadpan110 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 07:31:53 UTC 2011

*sorry - twice today I have forgot to include the mailing list in the reply*

Hiya,

Using the 'gluster' command in gluster 3.1.x is the preferred method
to set up volumes so there should be no need to alter config files
manually (I am unsure of the state of custom translators and would not
know if you need them for your situation).

But just to recap...

Distributed Volumes:
-----------------------------

# gluster volume create test-volume transport tcp server1:/exp1
server2:/exp2 server3:/exp3 server4:/exp4

This method will use the storage allocated in every brick for use as a
large file system. There is no failover - so if you reboot a server,
the filesystem will be unavailable until the server is back online (if
you loose the server and its bricks - some files will be
unrecoverable).

Files are written to the storage so as to attempt to make each brick
use approximately the same space.

(file1 -> server1 ... file2 -> server2 ... etc)

Distributed Replicated Volumes:

# gluster volume create test-volume replica 2 transport tcp
server1:/exp1 server2:/exp2

The above example shows what could be considered similar to a raid
mirror. Using 'replica 2' means that files will be written to 2 bricks
and if there are only 2 servers, then each will contain all the files.
If one server becomes unavailable, files can still be accessed (if you
loose a server, all data is still available).

The key point to note here is the 'replica 2' statement.
You can possibly think of it as [(replica count - 1) = bricks that can
go down before the file system is unavailable]

In the case of 10 servers, the files will be distributed across the
bricks with each file stored on a maximum of 2 bricks which gives you
the ability to safely reboot a node (one at a time).

Distributed Striped Volumes:

This is great for storing very large files as they can be striped and
replicated across bricks - I will not go into detail on this, but the
setup is similar to 'Distributed Replicated Volumes' above.

Suggestion:
-----------------

For 10 servers with varying amount of space available on each, I would
make partitions for bricks to reside on all of the same size.

This may involve a lot of work if you have:

server1:/data(120GB)
server2:/data(120GB)
server3:/home/g1(2TB)
server4:/home/g2(2TB)

But for an example, if each server contained a brick of 120GB and you
used 'replica 2' - you would then have a total of 10 bricks with a
single file stored on 2 bricks - giving you approximately 1/5 of
distributed replicated storage used for the replication.

(Not sure if my figures are correct, but in essence - you would get
more storage and a degree of failover)

It is also recommended that the number of bricks should be a multiple
of the replica count.

It is possible to use multiple bricks on a single server, for example
20 bricks across 10 nodes using replica 4 - but then it should be
noted that a single server containing 2 bricks would be safe to reboot
- but rebooting a second server will take down an additional 2 bricks
and could make the filesystem unavailable until one of the servers are
back online depending on where the bricks have been configured in the
replication.

I hope that helps