[Gluster-users] Gluster geo location setup?

Count Zero countz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 21:36:34 UTC 2011

At least sectore-sphere uses UDT so It's really very fast, and from all the technologies i've seen, has a higher chance of success. Plus the developers are very responsive, and fix things very quickly (if/when something comes up). I think that's THE deciding factor for me.

And I don't see how you can give up masters if you want a properly synchronized master/master setup?! Are you expecting some quantum magic will happen using parallel universes? :-)

For anything to be replicated properly between master/master systems, you need to have either a distributed locking/file management mechanisms that are properly synchronized between all hosts, or some kind of 'eventual consistency' model where changes to the file are replicated 'eventually' (good for situations where real-time replication is not a requirement). In both cases, we're talking about pretty complex mechanisms to get right. Think about cases where one host suddenly lost connectivity (quite common in WAN scenarios), how do you "replay" the changes once it's back...