[Gluster-users] Quick question regarding xfs_repair

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Mar 14 16:56:48 UTC 2011

On 03/14/2011 12:50 PM, Terry Haley wrote:
> Hello,

[...]

> My question has two parts.
>

> 1.       If I perform an xfs_repair will gluster become out of sync with the
> filesystem in lieu of repairs?

If the xfs_repair modifies the extended attributes, it is possible that
the gluster file system will appear to be inconsistent.  Same issue
would be with ext* and fsck.  Gluster team would need to respond to this.

> 2.       Can I trust the backups I performed after these issues cropped up
> as a result of the distribution of files across the nodes? Ie, a file is
> only ¾ complete or would gluster complain and make that file unavailable as
> it should?

Good question.  Can you verify that the data stored on the corrupted
RAID hasn't been replicated to the other nodes?  If so, easiest route
might be a RAID rebuild, and then a file system wipe on the effected
node, followed by a resync (assuming you are doing a replicated design).

If the bad data's been replicated, then you probably have to trash that
data (and do something similar to the above anyway).

Does your RAID kit have a scan/check function?  We do this with our
units (both hardware/software RAID), and schedule full scans at least
weekly.  Strongly advise something similar if you aren't doing it already.

Regards,

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D