[Gluster-users] Variable sized bricks & replication

Philip Poten philip.poten at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:52:30 UTC 2011

Hello,

we've been using glusterfs 3.0 for a while now, and it appears to be quite
stable and very useful. Next thing we need to do however is to migrate to
glusterfs 3.2 to allow for brick additions on the fly without client
restarts.

Now, since we are about to completely re-do the whole thing, we should
really do distributed replicated volumes, and here I was wondering: can I
use different brick sizes for that? For economical reasons, I need to use
the hardware on hand, and there is a lot, but the disks are anything from
500GB to 2TB.

Now, how does glusterfs handle the replication here? Will gluster just use
another node if one is full?

Any experience with that?

cheers,
Philip