[Gluster-users] Gluster in a windows environment - Replacing MS fileserver?

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Tue Jun 7 20:26:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 09:34:14 +1000, Jonathan Collingridge  wrote:
  Hi,

Ive read just about everything i can find out there on Gluster, and waded
through a lot of the old posts on the user-list. I'm wondering what the
current state of gluster is for interop. with windows 7 clients.

 I work
for a company that deals with images - a lot of them are jpegs around 2Mb
and raw camera images at 14-20Mb. We generate about 4-6 Tb of these each
year.

 Currently we use expensive (fibre channel disk) block based storage
over 4G fibre SAN; attached to this is a Ployserve (a HP product now)
active/active cluster of 4 windows servers. All of this is due for a
refresh this year (Servers with faster I/O and 10GE network) and i'm
looking at all the alternatives, HP have an (IBRIX sourced) array with 2
front end servers, runs redhat, feature set similar to gluster....

 I'm
wondering you have any experience with a Gluster config, with a similar
workload? What about windows 7 enterprise clients - use NFS or Samba?

 I'm
considering gluster nodes as HP DL180G6 with 25x 2.5" 300Gb 10K SAS Drives
in each (to keep the number of spindles up). A pair of 10GbE cards for
connectivity. Do you have any thoughts on this possible config? If you were
building a Gluster system from scratch with an Medium/Large business
budget, how would you do it?

 Thanks for any help you can give with my
questions.

--

 Jonathan Collingridge
IT Manager   		 +61 2 6933 7746