[Gluster-users] Disappointed about the documentation

Marc Baudoin baudoin at stg-interactive.com
Tue Jul 6 10:50:37 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm new to GlusterFS and I've just set up a (very small) test
environment with two replicated server in order to give it a try.
Piece of cake, that's great.

The initial configuration has been done using gluster-volgen and
I'd like now to explore the various configurations available, to
determine which one will suit my needs best (if everything goes
well and I choose to continue with GlusterFS, I'll have several
dozen servers in the storage cluster).

The problem is I'm very disappointed by the documentation
available.  The doc/replicate.pdf in the source distribution (I'm
using glusterfs-3.0.5rc9) talks about the AFR translator but the
Web site says it's been superseded by the replicate translator.
The doc/examples directory has an example about unify, which
seems to be obsolete since version 2.0.  The Web site carries a
lot of pages, some of which appear to be only accessible using
the search engine, very few have a date or state which version of
GlusterFS they apply to (the translators page [1] states version
2.0.x, I imagine things have somewhat changed since then) so I'm
getting a little lost about what's currently available.

My question is: where exactly is the current documentation about
the various aspects of GlusterFS, especially the configuration
options?

Thanks for your help.

[1] http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Translators

--