[Gluster-users] adding another brick howto

Liam Slusser lslusser at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 00:29:01 UTC 2010

I just wanted to make sure I have the procedure correctly when adding
a new bricks into my gluster raid10 configuration.

The current configuration is two servers each exporting 3 large drive
arrays hanging off the back of each server.  In the gluster client
config file i mirror each partition on server 1 with the corresponding
partition on server 2.  Then i use cluster/distribute to stripe it all
together.  Think raid10.

I'm running low on disk space and wanted to add two more drive arrays
(one on each server, same size as the original arrays), which should
be easy as far as the gluster configuration file goes.

My questions are:

a)  Once i add the new arrays (bricks if you will), do i need to run a
ls -aglR on a gluster client so the new arrays will get the directory
tree created?
b)  What would happen if i don't do step a - would it just start
creating new files and the directory tree when a create file operation
happened?
c)  Is gluster smart enough to know that the original arrays are
running low on space and to write all new files to the new servers?
d)  Anything else i should be aware of?

I'm running Centos Linux 5.4 64bit with XFS inode64 file systems with
Gluster 2.0.6 (although upgrading to 2.0.9 sometime this week
depending on how much free time i get)

thanks,
liam