[Gluster-users] Gluster on fast and slow networks

Adrian Revill adrian.revill at shazamteam.com
Mon Feb 15 11:25:15 UTC 2010

I do have an idea how it could be worked round.

On each of the 10G servers run a special client that connects like a
normal client, and has the normal configuration.
But this client exposes a server interface. This would mean the server
client would appear as a server with the whole file system.

Then on the 1G (or wan) clients run a client that has a special
translator that for reads would load balance its file reads across all
the servers, but for writes would only write to one server at any time,
but over all the writes would be load balanced across servers.
If this was configured to talk to the server clients, then any reads
would be distributed across the servers as normal.
If a re-sync was triggered then it would be handled by the servers
client on the 10G network, not the client on the 1G network.
Any write would be handled by one of the servers clients and would
follow the normal layout pattern as defined in the servers clients vol file.