[Gluster-users] Split Brain?

Count Zero countz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 05:21:36 UTC 2010

Hi Craig,

The md5sum of the files was indeed the same, which is why I thought it was very peculiar.

Basically, all my servers are clients & bricks, in an AFR configuration. The goal is to replicate the data as much as possible so it's available locally on all machines.

However - I went through the configuration files on all the machines, and it seems I've neglected to remove some of the bricks from the volumes, so there was a situation where some of the clients kept trying to save on bricks they were no longer supposed to be a part of.

I have now ensured proper separation and configuration, and I am no longer getting the split brain messages in the log, at least for now.

- I'm using the Gluster version that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 Server, which is version 3.0.2. It's exactly the same OS version & kernel, and Gluster version, on all of my machines.
- This is my kernel: Linux some.machine.com 2.6.32-24-server #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 5 10:29:32 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- The on-disk FS is ext4.
- I use glusterfs via a mount line in /etc/fstab

What I have yet to figure out, is how to get the files to be read at "local" speed. I mean, seeing as the files are all physically in /data/export/ on ALL my servers, is there something I can do to make the reads really fast? The writes are very rare, so I really don't care much about writes.

Thanks!