[Gluster-users] Maintainance mode for bricks

Ian Rogers ian.rogers at contactclean.com
Wed Apr 14 15:13:19 UTC 2010

On 14/04/2010 13:20, Fred Stober wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 April 2010, Tejas N. Bhise wrote:
>
>> Fred,
>>
>> Would you like to tell us more about the use case ? Like why would you want
>> to do this ? If we take a brick out, it would not be possible to get it
>> back in ( with the existing data ).
>>
> Ok, here is our use case:
> We have a small test system running on 3 file servers. cluster/distribute is
> used to give a flat view of the file servers. Now have the problem that one
> file server is going to be replaced with a larger one. Therefore we want to
> put the old file server into read only mode to rsync the files to the new
> server. Unfortunately this will take ~2days. During this time it would be
> nice to keep the glusterfs in read/write mode.
>
> If I understand it correctly, I should be able to use "lookup-unhashed" to
> reintegrate the new fileserver in the existing file system, when we switch
> off the old server.
>
> Cheers,
> Fred

Could you use gluster to put the new server and old one into a
cluster/replicate pair so it looks just like one server to the
cluster/distribute above it? Then do rsync or let gluster copy
everything across with a "self heal". When the new one is up to date
just disable the old one and remove the cluster/replicate.

--
www.ContactClean.com
Making changing email address as easy as clicking a mouse.