[Gluster-users] volume sizes

Anthony Goddard agoddard at mbl.edu
Tue Dec 29 21:54:35 UTC 2009

First post!
We're looking at setting up 6x 24 bay storage servers (36TB of JBOD storage per node) and running glusterFS over this cluster.
We have RAID cards on these boxes and are trying to decide what the best size of each volume should be, for example if we present the OS's (and gluster) with six 36TB volumes, I imagine rebuilding one node would take a long time, and there may be other performance implications of this. On the other hand, if we present gluster / the OS's with 6x 6TB volumes on each node, we might have more trouble in managing a larger number of volumes.

My gut tells me a lot of small (if you can call 6TB small) volumes will be lower risk and offer faster rebuilds from a failure, though I don't know what the pros and cons of these two approaches might be.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Anthony