[Gluster-devel] Is it possible to turn an existing filesystem (with data) into a GlusterFS brick ?

Sander Eikelenboom linux at eikelenboom.it
Fri Nov 11 12:33:46 UTC 2016

L.S.,

I was wondering if it would be possible to turn an existing filesystem
with data
(ext4 with files en dirs) into a GlusterFS brick ?

I can't find much info about it except the following remark at [1] which
seems
to indicate it is not possible yet:

         Data import tool

         Create a tool which will allow importing already existing data
in the brick
         directories into the gluster volume.
         This is most likely going to be a special rebalance process.

So that would mean i would always have to:
- first create an GlusterFS brick on an empty filesystem
- after that copy all the data into the mounted GlusterFS brick
- never ever copy something into the filesystem (or manipulate it
otherwise)
   used as a GlusterFS brick directly (without going through a GlusterFS
client mount)

because there is no checking / healing between GlusterFS's view on the
data and the data in the
underlying brick filesystem ?

Is this a correct view ?

--