[Gluster-devel] On backporting fixes

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 06:01:33 UTC 2016

Hi,

Lot many fixes to tests were found to be not back ported to 3.7 and other
release branches.
This causes tests to fail only in those branches and leaves the maintainers
puzzled.

Also, this seems to be the case with back porting code fixes too.

I copied all the changes to tests/ dir on master to tests/ dir on 3.7
branch and posted a patch at http://review.gluster.org/#/c/13683/ .

This is failing for ./tests/bugs/distribute/bug-860663.t test :
[10:39:11] Running tests in file ./tests/bugs/distribute/bug-860663.t
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
./tests/bugs/distribute/bug-860663.t ..
1..15
ok 1, LINENUM:23
ok 2, LINENUM:24
ok 3, LINENUM:26
ok 4, LINENUM:27
ok 5, LINENUM:30
ok 6, LINENUM:32
ok 7, LINENUM:35
not ok 8 , LINENUM:40
FAILED COMMAND: ! gluster --mode=script --wignore volume rebalance patchy
fix-layout start
ok 9, LINENUM:42
ok 10, LINENUM:43
ok 11, LINENUM:45
ok 12, LINENUM:47
ok 13, LINENUM:50
ok 14, LINENUM:51
ok 15, LINENUM:55
Failed 1/15 subtests

Given that it is a simple rebalance command that is failing I am assuming
that a critical patch has not been back ported to 3.7, correct me if I am
wrong.

I request every developer to take responsibility of back porting patches.

Corollary question: Our test-framework is now capable of disabling tests
for certain OS, certain branch etc. I would like to propose that we stop
having tests in main git repo. This will remove need to back port test only
fixes.

Thanks,
Raghavendra Talur