[Gluster-devel] [IMPORTANT] Release planning for GlusterFS 3.8, schedule, deadlines and all

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 09:19:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

We're kicking the 3.8 release back into shape and schedule. Our planned
6 month release cycle has completely failed on us, we're about 6 months
behind. I've taken the liberty to set aggressive deadlines and put this
on the roadmap on https://www.gluster.org/community/roadmap/3.8/ .

The page explains the dates, it will be extremely difficult to convince
me to change it. A delay because a feature is not ready will not be
acceptable, the feature will be moved out into the next (major/minor)
release.

Requirements that are listed on the roadmap affect all features. *ALL*
of these will need to be mostly fulfilled by the end of April. The last
day of April has been picked as branch date. Any feature that is not
ready at the time of branching (includes *ALL* requirements) will be
disabled/removed from the sources. There is an other chance to get the
feature in for the following release in 6 months time.

All feature owners have been put on CC of this email. They need to go
through the roadmap and update the description, current status, links,
and any other missing parts before the end of this week. There need to
be visible progress on at least the contents in the roadmap, and in the
linked designs/feature pages. If there is no obvious attempt to improve
the status of the feature, it will be marked as "move to next release".

Sending updates for the roadmap is easy, click the "Edit this page on
GitHub" link on the bottom of the page. It should create a pull request
that I can review, please assign it to me ("nixpanic" on GitHub).

If a feature is not expected to be ready before the end of April, please
let me know as soon as possible. All tracking that we do makes it easier
when we are kept informed.

For this release, Jiffin offered his assistance. If there are any
questions, do not hesitate to ask us (of course with the gluster-devel
list on CC).

Thanks,
Jiffin & Niels