[Gluster-devel] sub-directory geo-replication, snapshot features

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 14:02:58 UTC 2016

hi,
          Late last week I sent a solution for how to achieve
subdirectory-mount support with access-controls
(http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-March/048537.html).
What follows here is a short description of how other features of
gluster volumes are implemented for sub-directories.

Please note that the sub-directories are not allowed to be accessed by
normal mounts i.e. top-level volume mounts. All access to the
sub-directories goes only through sub-directory mounts.

1) Geo-replication:
The direction in which we are going is to allow geo-replicating just
some sub-directories and not all of the volume based on options. When
these options are set, server xlators populate extra information in the
frames/xdata to write changelog for the fops coming from their
sub-directory mounts. changelog xlator on seeing this will only
geo-replicate the files/directories that are in the changelog. Thus only
the sub-directories are geo-replicated. There is also a suggestion from
Vijay and Aravinda to have separate domains for operations inside
sub-directories for changelogs.

2) Sub-directory snapshots using lvm
Every time a sub-directory needs to be created, Our idea is that the
admin needs to execute subvolume creation command which creates a mount
to an empty snapshot at the given sub-directory name. All these
directories can be modified in parallel and we can take individual
snapshots of each of the directories. We will be providing a detailed
list commands to do the same once they are fleshed out. At the moment
these are the directions we are going to increase granularity from
volume to subdirectory for the main features.

Pranith