[Gluster-devel] 3.8 Plan changes - proposal

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Mon Jan 11 21:22:43 UTC 2016

Hi All,

We discussed the following proposal for 3.8 in the maintainers mailing
list and there was general consensus about the changes being a step in
the right direction. Would like to hear your thoughts about the same.

Changes to 3.8 Plan:
--------------------

1. Include 4.0 features such as NSR, dht2, glusterd2.0 & eventing as
experimental features in 3.8. 4.0 features are shaping up reasonably
well and it would be nice to have them packaged in 3.8 so that we can
get more meaningful feedback early on. As 4.0 features mature, we can
push them out through subsequent 3.8.x releases to derive iterative
feedback.

2. Ensure that most of our components have tests in distaf by 3.8. I
would like us to have more deterministic pre-release testing for 3.8 and
having tests in distaf should help us in accomplishing that goal.

3. Add "forward compatibility" section to all feature pages proposed for
3.8 so that we carefully review the impact of a feature on all upcoming
Gluster.next features.

4. Have Niels de Vos as the maintainer for 3.8 with immediate effect.
This is a change from the past where we have had release maintainers
after a .0 release is in place. I think Niels' diligence as a release
manager will help us in having a more polished .0 release.

5. Move out 3.8 by 2-3 months (end of May or early June 2016) to
accomplish these changes.

Appreciate your feedback about this proposal!

Thanks,
Vijay