[Gluster-devel] Bitrot/Tering : Bad files get migrated and hence corruption goes undetected.

Joseph Fernandes josferna at redhat.com
Fri Feb 26 14:32:46 UTC 2016

Hi All,

This is a discussion mail on the following issue,

1. Object is corrupted before it could be signed: In this case, the corrupted
   object is signed and get migrated upon I/O. There's no way to identify corruption
   for this set of objects.

2. Object is signed (but not scrubbed) and corruption happens thereafter:
   In this case, as of now, integrity checking is not done on the fly
   and the object would get migrated (and signed again in the hot tier).

The (1) is definitely not a issue with bitrot with tiering. But (2) we can do something to avoid
corrupted file from getting migrated. Before we migrate files we can scrub it, but its just a naive
thought, any better suggestions?

Regards,
Joe