[Gluster-devel] Deprecation of striped volumes as 'feature' for 3.9

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sat Aug 6 11:37:24 UTC 2016

Hi,

As *we* all are aware, striped volumes should not be used anymore. The
replacement for this is sharding, available and stable since the latest
3.7 releases and 3.8. Unfortunately users still create striped volumes,
and some even write blog posts with examples.

We should actively recommend users not to use striping anymore. This is
a proposal to remove the striping xlator from the GlusterFS sources over
the next two releases:

 - 3.9: prevent creation of new striped volumes, warn in the client logs
        when striping is used

 - 3.10/4.0: remove the stripe xlator completely from the sources

In order to keep track of these steps, I have now filed two bugs:
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1364706 - point 1 above
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1364706 - point 2 above

https://github.com/gluster/glusterweb/pull/96 is the pull request to get
this added to the 3.9 roadmap.

I am not sure yet how (if?) to create a feature page for this.
Suggestions and ideas about that are welcome.

Thanks,
Niels