Plotting the Gluster (R)evolution
Want to get involved? We're setting up a regular date and time, every week, where we can discuss the direction of the Gluster community and associated projects.
This page will serve as the home for planning new or modified features for gluster.org. We're looking to make gluster.org into a clearing house for all projects related to GlusterFS: integrations with other tools, translators, language bindings, etc. Whether you're a new user, a budding developer, or an old hand, we want this community to evolve to serve your needs. See below for specifics.
Plan out each release cycle, starting with GlusterFS 3.4
Here are some ideas for what we're thinking:
- New CMS - we're discovering that Wordpress seems to have limitations for a full-fledged CMS. Let's discuss the needed changes, such as an integrated wiki, and the ability to have multiple contributors to different sections
- Project management - Want to start a project on gluster.org? Let's give you the tools needed, such as hooks into github or other repository, a bug tracker (or hooks to another one), wiki, docs area, membership, etc.
- Q&A - we like Q&A tools, such as what we have now on community.gluster.org, but we're not sure if we have the right tool. Suggestions welcome.
We need help upgrading our documentation - for new users, power users, developers and everyone else. Here is a list of needed docs. Add your suggestions to the list.
QuickStart, Really Really Quick Start and Getting Started guides
Choose one of the tutorials above to get started using Gluster at whatever pace makes you comfortable Quick Start is a good place for new users. Really Really Quick Start for those who don't like to wait or who just want a refresher course on how to get things running. The Getting Started for an in depth look at setting up your first Gluster cluster. Get a working Gluster deployment in less time than it takes to make grits! Once you have the steps down, that will even include instant grits.
Check here for a list of articles on how to configure and troubleshoot common issues with Gluster. This is also a placeholder for article ideas, so if it isn't written yet, feel free to contribute!
Discuss different use cases require different configurations. What is your desired use case? What did you need to do in order for the performance to be acceptable? Add your use case to the list:
- Web site storage
- Office file server
- Distributed content delivery network
- Scientific computing
- Virtual Machine Hosting
- From scratch
- Migrating from DRBD/OCFS2 to GlusterFS
- Developer docs - translator APIs, UFO API, HDFS connector API
GlusterFS Build, Test and Release
We want GlusterFS to be the most robust distributed filesystem on the planet. As such, we're looking for people who want to test GlusterFS at scale, or can pitch in and help prepare for releases. If you understand packaging, we need your help. If you can test at scale, even better.