To introduce new features, see the link below. Be sure to include links to code or a site where you describe the project.
Proposed/Accepted Features per Release
This is a place-holder for description of features in GlusterFS. All new features to be developed will need an entry here.
These features are not owned by anyone yet. They may be worked on by new contributors to Gluster or anyone who is interested.
- FS-Cache support for FUSE
- client-side caching of contents, improving performance for recurring reads.
- GNOME/Glib integration
- make it more user friendly to connect to a Gluster volume.
- Fully functional and easy to use IPv6 support.
- GlusterFS SSL based auth support at subdir granularity (for glusterfs native protocol only)
- IP based access control along with SSL auth (for glusterfs native protocol only)
- Snapshot support at subdir granularity (for all protocols)
- lftp integration
- add access through libgfapi for up- and downloads in lftp
- glusterd: Ability to create (carve) volumes from the trusted storage pool on the fly.
- Auto refresh SSL specific volume set options
- Turn off glusterfs protocol access
- Geo-rep support at file granularity
- Create new share from snapshot
- Support quota with SSL based auth.
- Support data shredding in GlusterFS
- make it possible to use a private network for the storage servers (also Multi-Home?).
- improve small-file performance by doing fewer syscalls per file.
- improve small-file performance by doing fewer network round trips between client and server per file.
- Provide ability to query for GlusterFS capabilities.
- Show usable size of the glusterfs volume in volume info.
- Create a framework to make it easy to test gfapi.
- Kerberos (GSSAPI) support for the Gluster network protocols.
Some more ideas can be found at Projects
Features implemented or being worked on
- Operating version for glusterd
- “operating-version” support in 'glusterd' is required to ensure that different versions of gluster binary bits interact with each other without problems.
- Write Once Read Many times option
- “worm” support in 'gluster volume set <volname> worm on' is required to enable volumes to be converted a worm type.
- Event Hooks
- Volume lifecycle extensions.
- Duplicate Request Cache
- DRC for GlusterNFS to provide resilience to rpc restransmissions of non-idempotent operations.
- ACLv3 support for NFS.
- Server Quorum
- This feature, when enabled, kills the bricks in the volume that do not meet the quorum because of network splits/outages.
- Crash consistent snapshot of glusterfs volumes
- Features/AFR CLI enhancements
- CLI enhancements for AFR
- Persistent caching of connected NFS-clients
- Persistent caching of connected NFS-clients on a per Storage Server or per Trusted Pool base.
- Features/Geo Replication Hooks
- Geo Replication Hooks
- Trash translator for GlusterFS
- Volumes based on erasure codes
- Afr refactor
- Policy Based Split-brain resolution
- Improve GlusterFS rebalance performance
- Fault injection
- Split data from meta data
- Gluster compliance archive
- BitRot detection
- Backup API / Gnotify
- Features/glusterd remove-brick rebalace revamp
- This Feature Regarding the separation of status statistics of Rebalance and Remove-brick in a better way.
- Data classification/Tiering
- Gluster CLI support for NFS-ganesha
- HA support for NFS-ganesha using Corosync and Pacemaker
- Gluster Upcall Infrastructure support
- RichACL support in GlusterFS